1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together dry: sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a slow boil. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Whisk in melted butter. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell
To Make Meringue: In a large glass or copper bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tarter and sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Key Lime Pie
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup fresh (preferable) or bottled Key lime juice (about 24 to 30 Key limes)
- 1 purchased or homemade 9-inch graham cracker crust
- Sweetened whipped cream for garnish, any variety
Preparation:Preheat oven to 350 F.Place egg yolks and lime zest in a nonreactive bowl and beat on high speed about 5 minutes, until the mixture is very glossy. Add sweetened condensed milk in a steady stream and beat until thickened, another 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add Key lime juice, beating only until combined.Pour the lime custard into the prepared graham cracker crust. Bake about 10 minutes until filling has barely set. Remove from oven and let slowly cool until it is room temperature. Refrigerate.
- Almond Shortbread Crust
- 4 tablespoon room temperature butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 drops of almond extract
- 2 drops of lemon extract
- Cut together butter and sugar in a medium bowl, until grainy. Stir in yolk. Add flour and salt, and stir until mixture is dry and crumbly. Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie dish.
- Bake on 350*, just until crust turns golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool in dish on a wire rack.
- Make filling or use pre made fillings.