Thursday, September 10, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Brithday Sheet Cake - Sept. 09

I was so excited and could hardly wait to try my first Barefoot Bloggers Challenge... Like many other have posted, I too had the same problem with my cake over browning around the edges before it was cooked in the center. This is the third time in three different states that I have tried this recipe and it came out the same all three times! hehehehe…..I guess a lot can be said for consistency….. The frosting recipe is fantastic, but I don’t think I will use the cake portion of the recipe again, I have others that I favor better.
On the other hand... Because my cake was so badly burned are the edges I decided to get a little creative with it and turned it into a Stacked Sheet Cake. Adding a cup of frosting between each layer of cake, topping it off with a light sprinkle of more lemon zest. I hope that was okay? Here is the way it turned out.
RECIPE: BIRTHDAY SHEET CAKE
by: Ina Garten, (the Barefoot Contessa)

Ingredients

For the cake:

  • 18 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  • 8 ounces (about 1 cup) sour cream, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour



  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda


For the Frosting:

  • 24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • Chocolate candies for decorating (recommended: M&M's)


SUZY…….. Hope you have a Happy Birthday and thanks for the recipe choice! It was a good one... Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment