Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Heirloom Mozzarella Capreses

As I started to think about all the wonderful recipes I wanted to post as my very first here on my new blog.... It became all to clear to me that I should use my favorite creation that I have chosen to use as part of my blog logo/header. And since this is my all time favorite salad I would like to give you both versions...

Orginial Mozzarella Caprese


Ingredients:
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese sliced 1/4-inch thick
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 cup fresh basil leaves
Coarse salt to taste*
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil




Preparation:

In a circular design around the side of a serving plate, alternate fresh mozzarella slices on a large platter (or on individual plates if you are doing individual portions) with sliced tomatoes, overlapping for effect.
Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle liberally over the slices. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle capers over the top.
Just before serving, drizzle on some top-quality extra-virgin olive oil.  

NOTE: Insalata Caprese should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time and become soggy, and no vinegar of any kind goes on true Insalata Caprese!
Makes 4 servings.


My Heirloom Mozzarella Caprese

1 large yellow Heirloom Tomato (sliced)
8-10 small Cherry Tomatoes
4 slices of Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
4 Sprigs of fresh Basil
olive oil

Arrange Salad on a large Serving dish, alternating yellow tomato slices and mozzarella cheese. Top with Basil leaves and cherry tomatoes. Splash with olive oil, crushed black paper and enjoy.

1 comment: