Monday, June 23, 2014

Sour Dough & Summer Fun!

I love the first day of summer... It makes for a great excuse to start my sour dough! It also means that I am back from spending the week cooking at Girls camp, which is one of the major highlights of my summer! 

This is the only recipe I have ever used to start my sour dough. I grew up on the old pioneer recipes because of my heritage and due to the fact that my father like to make biscuits and scones for the family and the big 4th or July celebration in Circleville. 

Here it is... It has never failed me!

How to make Sourdough Starter:

1 tablespoon (1 packet) yeast (not rapid-rise)
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 more cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar or honey

This is a 2-quart glass jar. You dissolve yeast in the 1/2 cup of water. Add flour, additional water, and the sugar or honey. Beat till blended. You can leave it in the jar to ferment, or transfer it to a larger jar, because the starter needs room to bubble up and expand. Store in on counter or in a dry warm place, should be ready to use in 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment