Well, of course, my day never went as planned... After spending the day, getting to know some new unexpected house guests, their new unsmashed rental car arrived right at race time and so after a big round of thank yous, hugs and good-byes, the only thing that I got accomplished for the day was my orange cake.
Ever made a pound cake? They are actually very easy...
- ¾ cup buttermilk or sour cream
- Zest of 5 oranges, finely grated
- 1 cup fresh orange juice or orange crush soda
- 1 small can mandarin orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick butter, softened at room temp.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- For the orange glaze:
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Fahrenheit. Grease and flour bundt pan, set aside. Next drain mandarin oranges and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk or sour cream, orange zest, and both orange juices.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and add to buttermilk mixture
- This next few steps are the most important... In your mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to the bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, you can tent it with a piece of foil.
- Cool cake completely before flipping it out onto a cooling rack. Let cool for another 30 minutes after you've flipped it out on a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, make the orange glaze by whisking together all the orange glaze ingredients. Add more orange juice if you like a looser glaze. Pour glaze over top of the bundt cake. Cut and serve