|It just wouldn't be a good Colonial week, if we didn't finish up with a delicious |
Martha Washington Devil's Food Cake
- 4 squares (1 ounce) of unsweetened chocolate
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Prepare the Recipe
- Melt chocolate in a saucepan over a very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Stir until well blended. Cool thoroughly. Mix half the flour with the baking powder, soda and salt. Cream butter, and gradually beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each. Blend in about one-fourth of the flour mixture, then add the chocolate and vanilla. Alternately add the remaining flour and buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour into two 9 inch greased and floured pans, and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.